Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bargain book treasure.

I'm fast becoming an illustration book junkie. One I recently picked up is a book on the British artist, Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788). This $60 book cost me $12 at a local bargain bookstore. It's loaded with 254 illustrations and 195 color plates. This is an indispensable reference source for people who paint/model this period. His subjects varied from the ordinary laborer to the men and women of noble classes, with landscape and animals mixed in.
I'll post more of my favorite art/reference books and bargain buys.





2 comments:

Gary Dombrowski said...

Awesome find Jason. Some of those paintings would make nice figures. Pete Culos did the 4th foot officer years ago. I have a big book on the work of John Singleton Copely that I bought for a song. Great stuff. ~Gary

Jason said...

It's great to find books of this quality so cheap. This isn't the only book I scored. More later.

Big ol' pile of heads and armatures for the St. Privat project.